LEYES, Latin American and Caribbean Basic Health Legislation, is a regional thematic database produced in network by Health area and Policies institutions. It coordinated by the Health Policies and Systems Development Unit (HSS/HP/PAHO) and BIREME/PAHO/WHO. This base contains bibliographic references of Health Legislation from over 30 countries of Latin America and Caribbean, can also contain full text or link to the full text.
Until 2007, informations on this database were extracted from records of the Latin American Legislative Index maintained by the Hispanic Law Division of the Library of Congress of the United States of America, with exception to constitutional dispositions and Health/Sanitary codes.
LEYES Network is integrated by a set of institutions that feed LEYES database based on methodology for Legislation developed by BIREME/PAHO/WHO.
LEYES database history
- Produced by Health Systems and Services unit (HSS), PAHO/WHO, Washington.
- Created in 1987, with standards since 1978.
- Health Legislation index comparative of Latin American countries and English language Caribbean countries.
- Information from Mexico was included until 2003 by Institutional Documentation Center of Secretariat of Health. Information from Bolivia was included by National Documentation Center of Ministry of Health and Sports.
- Information related other countries were obtained with the cooperation of Hispanic Law Division of the Library of Congress and support of PAHO offices in the countries.
Methodology for Legislation
- Developed to guide institutions and projects which make records of Health Legislation Acts collection.
- Allows treatment, storage, recuperation and availability of information about normative documents.
Manuals and Guides
- Legal Standards Selection Guidelines for LEYES Database (File:Leisref-1-GuiaSelecao-en.pdf)
- Manual of Bibliographical Description of the Administration Program of Legislation Reference Data - Leisref (File:Leisref-2-ManualDescricao-en.pdf)
- Manual of Operation of the Administration Program of Legislation Reference Data - Leisref (File:Leisref-3-ManualOperacao-en.pdf)