VHL-Site to Wordpress - Migration data validation
Purpose of this page
Provide what type of information can be migrated, how it is organized and the steps to publish each type of content.
Premisses and scopes
In order the migration is effective, it is assumed that the contents of the VHL-Site is no longer available for update. Within this contents are included all data files (XML, HTML etc), as well as images and documents (PDFs, DOCs, XSLs etc).
All migration of data from VHL-Site to VHL Plugin for Wordpres will be executed in the application installed in multi-site mode. In this mode, only the VHL-Site plugin is active due to the fact:
- the main site - in root directory of domain - is going to have data migrated in the default language of that VHL;
- additional sites may be created as subdirectories;
- translations paired to contents of the main site use the ISO 639 Language Code standard for abbreviation in the languages required and are made available as subdirectories named with these abbreviations:
- e.g.: es for Spanish, en for English, pt for Portuguese;
NOTE: This default mode can be reviewed in case the client requires and a new operation mode may be effective starting from the publication date.
For the data migration it is assumed that contents have the following items:
- item type (collection, about etc);
- item link;
- all contents in XHTML format (formated text) either in description field or portal page.
Items of type collection, about and community are migrated according to the following criteria:
- if the item is available it will be converted to a VHL Collection item in Wordpress with a draft status;
- if the item is unavailable it will be converted to a VHL Collection item in Wordpress with a trash status.
The item of type highlights is also migrated whenever available, though the contents has no title and provides only the link to the item in highlight.
The items of type RSS and HTML will not be migrated, once that type RSS is a native widget in Wordpress and therefore should filled and parameterized by the user during data review and re-estructuring.
Images cannot be migrated by the script provided they are files uploaded to the system and:
- they must be registered in WP database during the upload process of the application;
- the XML file used as data container in VHL-Site does not allow binary contents.
In this way, and taking into account the infra-structure policies, all imagens and documentos (PDFs, DOCs, PPTs etc) previously uploaded to VHL with the File Manager must be uploaded manually using the Wordpress media library option.
Manual conversion procedures
After integrating the migrated data, the site is available for checking, correction and publishing by the client.
All data must be published by using the collection and/or theme widgets, otherwise its contents cannot be displayed within the site layout.
The client user will receive the migrated site URL as well as the user and password information to access it as administrator. Opportunely, the administrator can define new users with specific access permission to manage the data and the processes of production and/or publishing.
Through the My sites option, the user can access each site according to language in use.
Each site has a VHL Collection item containing all posts related to the migrated VHL, where:
- all items with status set to available are below Pending;
- all items with status set to unavailable are below Trash.
In Pending, each information group (1st level) was migrated with its content indented to make easier the identification during the steps of reviewing and publishing. In the meantime, only after the father item has been published one can publish the subitems with their correct hierarchy.
Each item should be reviewed in terms of:
- description - grouping the contents of fields description and portal page;
- link to an external page - with/without the option of opening in a separated window;
- attributes - the definition of father item and the item order within that hierarchy.
It is possible to associate in Featured image an icon or image to be displayed along with the item title. That can help in creating a customized area for themes. The associated image can be uploaded during the item review or selected from the media library in case it has been previously uploaded.
In Trash, the contents may be viewed - and reviewed - before they are restored to the Pending area.
Even after the posts are set to published, they can only be viewed in public site after being selected by a widget (VHL Collection, VHL Themes etc) - via Appearance, option Widgets - and placed in the desired column. The themes that have an associated image must be published with the VHL Themes widget in order to be presented correctly.
The RSS items must be included manually as RSS widget and placed in the desired column. It is also required to upload manually all images and documents by using the Media library option.
Further information on the Wordpress operation please see the following pages. However, let us remind you that some fields or functionalities may not apply to the customized types VHL Collection and VHL Themes.